Sterling Heights Hit & Run Accident Attorneys
Ready to Help at a Moment’s Notice
A hit and run accident occurs when someone is in a car accident but leaves the scene before they can be positively identified. It does not matter if the driver is the one who caused the crash or was a victim, it is a hit and run if they leave too soon. In some situations, drivers cannot leave the scene of a crash until a responding police officer excuses them. In any case, though, hit and run accidents create hectic and uncertain futures for other injured drivers.
Are reeling from the aftermath of a hit and run accident? Let Bashore Green Law Group in Sterling Heights help you make sense of your options. We would be honored to guide you to a better future by showing you that you might be able to seek compensation still, despite the other driver fleeing the scene of your crash.
To find out more, dial (248) 487-1887 right away.
Can You Still Get Compensation After a Hit and Run?
If the other driver escapes the scene and can’t be identified, then you can’t sue them for compensation. It would be like trying to sue a random stranger who was walking by for all you can prove of their involvement. But that doesn’t mean that you can’t get any compensation for your damages.
If you have uninsured motorist insurance (UM insurance), then you can demand financial coverage from your auto insurance provider. UM insurance is used to pay for certain damages you incur after being hit by a driver with no insurance. In the details of the policy, it should note that a driver without insurance is effectively the same as a driver who cannot be identified, so the policy should apply to your hit and run case.
UM insurance can provide damages that help pay for:
- Medical treatments
- Property repair
- Missing wages
The amount of compensation that you can get through your UM policy is based on that policy’s cap. Furthermore, if your insurance provider wants to give you a difficult time or challenges your claim, then you will be in a legal contest with your insurer, which is awkward, to say the least. Let us take your case and manage it for you.
What to Do After a Hit & Run Accident
The actions you take immediately after being in a hit and run accident are important. The evidence of liability and of who hit you is usually the most useful in those fleeting moments. Do what you can to get any available evidence while also calling for help and staying safe.
Steps to take after a hit and run accident include:
- If the other driver tries to flee, stay put. Chasing after them puts you in danger of another crash or any other rash decisions that the driver might make.
- Call 911 to get emergency responders to the scene of your accident. EMTs and firefighters can provide medical care, and the police need to know about the driver who fled the scene illegally.
- Photograph the scene while you are waiting for help to arrive. Vehicular damage and physical injuries need to be cataloged clearly.
- Write down any details you can remember of the liable driver, such as car color, make, model, damage, and the direction they fled. A brief description of the driver is also helpful.
- File an accident report with the police when they arrive, so they can begin to look for the driver.
- See a doctor once you can leave the scene, assuming you have not been taken to the hospital via ambulance.
- Call our attorneys at (248) 487-1887 once you are rested. The sooner we can start working on your case, the better.
You Can Win the Day, We Can Show You How
Don’t assume you can’t get any compensation after a hit and run accident because the other driver ran away. Leave those questions and more up to our team of Sterling Heights attorneys. We would be happy to do all the heavy lifting and legwork in your case while you rest and recover.
Contact us online today. We speak multiple languages for client convenience.
I am so thankful for and appreciative.- Heidi G.
Answered all of my questions.- Rashanda M.
Very satisfied with everyone at Bashore Green Law Firm.- Lora S.
Very professional service.- Stephen H.
You can't get better than Bashore Green Law firm.- Felicia A.
Work directly with our experienced attorneys.Meet Our Team
Compassionate in our approach. Learn how our team prioritizes you.Read Our Reviews
You don't pay unless we win. See our previous success stories.See Our Victories
Available to meet through, video, phone or in person consults.Speak With Us