It’s now peak motorcycle season in Michigan, so all motorists need to pay close attention to motorcyclists and take steps to avoid causing serious accidents.
Fortunately, injured riders have recourse through the civil justice system. If you or a loved one was injured in a Michigan motorcycle accident, Bashore Green Law Group can fight for the financial compensation you deserve. That's because our experienced motorcycle accident attorneys have helped many injured Michigan motorcyclists seek justice and hold negligent drivers accountable.
Leading causes of motorcycle accidents
Many motorcycle accidents in Michigan are caused by reckless or negligent drivers. Here are some common examples of crashes involving motorcyclists caused by dangerous driving behaviors:
- Drivers who fail to share the road with motorcyclists and collide with them.
- Drivers who claim they didn't see a motorcyclist and hit them while changing lanes.
- Left-turn accidents caused by drivers who turn left at an intersection and collide with a motorcyclist proceeding straight.
- Speeding drivers who cannot slow down often end up crashing into a motorcyclist.
- Aggressive drivers who tailgate motorcyclists and cause rear-end crashes.
- Distracted drivers, particularly those who are texting, not paying attention, and colliding with motorcyclists.
- Drunk drivers who fail to notice they're sharing the road with motorcyclists.
Keep in mind that staying alert, following traffic laws, and keeping a safe distance from motorcycles are some simple yet effective ways to prevent these tragic accidents.
How can you prevent a motorcycle accident?
There are several ways that motorists can prevent motorcycle accidents. Here are a few key tips:
- Stay aware and alert: Motorists should always be mindful of their surroundings and stay alert for motorcyclists on the road. Avoid distractions like using your phone or adjusting the radio and keep your focus on the task of driving.
- Check your blind spots: Motorcycles can be harder to see than other vehicles, so it's important to check your blind spots before changing lanes or turning.
- Give motorcycles plenty of space: Motorcycles may need to make sudden stops or maneuvers to avoid hazards on the road. Make sure to give them plenty of space and avoid tailgating or crowding them. Remember, motorcycles have a much shorter stopping distance than cars, trucks, and SUVs.
- Use your turn signals: Always use your turn signals when changing lanes or turning and give motorcycles plenty of warning before you make a move.
- Look twice at intersections: Many motorcycle accidents occur at intersections, so it's important to look twice before proceeding through a green light or making a turn.
It only takes one reckless driver to cause a motorcycle accident that results in severe injury or death. That's why it's so important for drivers to do their part to prevent accidents and ensure that everyone can safely enjoy Michigan's roads.
Motorcycle accident lawyers proudly serving Michigan
If you were injured in a motorcycle accident in Ohio that wasn't your fault, you might think you don't need a lawyer to recover compensation for your losses. However, many motorcyclists are unfairly blamed for crashes they didn't cause, and insurance companies often try to deny or minimize their claims to save money. Our team of motorcycle accident attorneys at Bashore Green has a proven track record of success in Michigan motorcycle accident cases, and we're here to help you get the results you deserve.