Some Michigan residents may be stunned to hear about the sheer number of automobile accidents that occur in the state each year.
This week we will share some interesting statistics in the 2021 Statewide Traffic Crash Data Year End Report developed by the Michigan State Police. Many of these statistics are relatively similar from year to year although numbers were noticeably down in 2020 because of the COVID pandemic.
- Traffic crashes increased 15 percent from 245,432 in 2020 to 282,640 in 2021 in Michigan.
- Fatalities increased four percent from 1,083 in 2020 to 1,131 in 2021.
- Injury crashes increased 16 percent from 44,417 in 2020 to 51,666 in 2021.
- The majority of traffic crashes occurred in November with 30,666 crashes.
- August had the largest number of fatal crashes with 124 reported crashes.
- The majority of traffic crashes occurred on Fridays with 46,614 crashes.
- Saturdays and Sundays had the largest number of fatalities reported.
- Most of the traffic crashes occurred between 3 p.m.-5:59 p.m.
Alcohol-related traffic accidents are very common. Here are some interesting statistics from the 2021 report:
- Alcohol involved fatalities increased 10 percent, from 326 in 2020 to 357 in 2021.
- October had the highest number of alcohol involved crashes with 970 total crashes.
- Saturdays and Sundays had the highest number of alcohol involved crashes.
- The majority of alcohol involved crashes occurred between 9 p.m. and 2:59 a.m.
Auto accidents caused by distracted driving are also very common. Here are some interesting statistics from the 2021 report:
- Distracted driving involved fatalities increased 14 percent, from 52 in 2020 to 59 in 2021.
- August had the highest number of driver distracted involved crashes with 1,689 total crashes.
- Fridays had the highest number of driver distracted involved crashes.
- The majority of driver distraction involved crashes occurred between 3 p.m. and 5:59 p.m.
Bicycle riding rose in 2020-2021 in large part because of the pandemic. Here are some interesting statistics from the 2021 report:
- Bicyclist fatalities decreased 24 percent, from 38 in 2020 to 29 in 2021.
- 89.7 percent of bicyclist fatalities were reported as males.
- September had the highest number of bicycle involved crashes with 210 total crashes.
- Tuesdays had the highest number of bicycle involved crashes.
- The majority of bicycle involved crashes occurred between 3 p.m. and 5:59 p.m.
Being familiar with these trends and statistics can help you be better prepared if you are involved in an auto accident. If that were to happen, consider working with the auto accident attorneys at Bashore Green Law Firm who can help you get the compensation you deserve if involved in a car, truck, motorcycle or bicycle accident. Call us at 248-487-1887 to learn more.